Poster Message Extra info
 Post subject: Hollow Knight
PostPosted: October 8th, 2017, 3:08 am 
Awards
And historical references

Yogurt tokens: 5755
Quote:
Beneath the fading town of Dirtmouth sleeps an ancient, forgotten kingdom. Now something awakes within the ruins, a powerful force that turns bugs mad and robs travellers of their senses. Many are drawn beneath the surface searching for riches, or glory, or answers to old secrets.

What is the source of this new plague? What calamity befell this once great kingdom? To solve these mysteries will require a journey into the deepest depths, but some secrets may be better left buried...

As the Hollow Knight Wiki states, there is a mystery to solved, one which I have yet to finish! If you haven't heard of this serene gem, I suggest you go pick it up. A game in which I've forgotten to feed my cats, is one that surely calls for notice among indie games of our time. I'll just keep inserting fluffy words, but really, you should have a look. Not only has it got myself hooked, Scuba is bewitched!

With eerie surroundings throughout, it's always pleasant to come out of the dark and into a gorgeous scene. Not only is the contrast a cause for wonderment, the soundtrack change is deeply inviting.

Listening to the one song, one which is frequently heard through game-play (this song is the theme to the home town) has hit Scuba's ears, and I do not exaggerate, his reply was; "God, hearing Hollow Knight again makes me want to really play." Seriously - no fluff - we're in love all over again. So if we break this down, Hollow Knight has beautiful graphics, serene music, an intriguing story, so now - how's the game-play?

Early on, these mobs are challenging, and throughout the game it progresses smoothly, from area to mobs, the difficulty is a constant. The general theory is that each new location offers a varying challenge, either the mobs become more difficult and the platforms/terrain change along with it, or the challenge, as in the puzzle so to speak, will invite a new strategy to game-play. There is no hints, no tutorials, no help from the game on how to accomplish the challenge. It's all up to your knowledge of prior gaming, or in this case, your ability to take on a sense of curiosity, which is what the entire story revolves around; curiosity.

The above image is only one area of Hollow Knight, known as Forgotten Crossroads. The map only becomes available when you learn it. Oh, I am not going to tell you how to find out, that's all in the fun! As you can see clearly, the platform branches off, and not like some old Metroid platforms, each branch will often have a challenge. Either you will be missing a secret, fighting a mob, deciding what to do with the puzzle or looking for another way around. Each corner of each area will be worth the peek, even if it's only a dead end - you might miss the detail hidden within!

Sometimes it's just fun to rewind a few areas and take on the challenging platforms in another location!

So what do you think of this insight? Would you want to give it a go?

Post subject: Re: Hollow Knight
PostPosted: October 9th, 2017, 3:04 am 
Awards
! your foggot !
! your foggot !

Yogurt tokens: 5930
YES.

Good review for someone who hasn't finished it... :p

This game is legit amazing. Anyone who's even remotely a fan of metroidvania or 2d platformers should pick this up, or you're doing yourself a disservice.

PostPosted: October 9th, 2017, 4:37 am 
Awards
! Penpal !
! Penpal !

Yogurt tokens: 10750
I hate the way the 'sprites' in these games always looks like a Flash game.
ur review makes it sound pretty promising, but I just can't but be put off a little by the style. Oh well, I'll never have time to play any bideo games, anyway! /notastebuds

PostPosted: October 9th, 2017, 5:33 am 
Awards

Yogurt tokens: 5755
The flash is your issue?! Oh gees, I think if you can just try it, just give it a go.. maybe we can hook you up on our steam so you can test the library - Scuba, is it possible?!

You HAVE TO give it a go. I really like the style it is animated in. There is a quality of genuineness with the way the animation is serving to Hollow Knight. Your main weapon is a 'Nail', like a body part, and I feel like it wouldn't work any other way.

PostPosted: October 9th, 2017, 9:05 am 
Awards
Realizing Google [Bot] is the coolest bot
Realizing Google [Bot] is the coolest bot

Yogurt tokens: 650
one look at it, and i knew it was a unity game.

i dont think the art style should matter to Danno. id say the art style is popular for these type of games.

PostPosted: October 9th, 2017, 3:06 pm 
Awards
! Penpal !
! Penpal !

Yogurt tokens: 10750
Maybe I will try it someday, but I already have a huge backlog of games... which I am not making any progress on getting through since I spend most of my time making graphics or testing the MMO client )-:::