Latest C-Mix

Home Movies Games Comics Characters
Downloads History Miscellaneous Forum

ACE Character Designer
It is currently August 19th, 2018, 5:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, gtfo.  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Poster Message Extra info
 Post subject: Emoticons IV: Torment
PostPosted: October 10th, 2012, 9:07 pm 
Awards
! Penpal !
! Penpal !

Yogurt tokens: 10910
I began resuming An Improved Society: RevenGe yesterday. I might not update it daily, but I won't let a week pass without anything new. I also made a new C-Mix yesterday, as I said I would in my last announcement. Perhaps tomorrow's won't be on time since it couldn't hurt to balance the updates out a bit... After that, I'll try to be on time (or fairly on time) again. And now for the main event!
I've added a bunch of new emoticons again. Some of them are from requests, some of them are from things I vaguely wanted to make. I trust everyone will use the new emoticons responsibly. Perhaps they will not be as popular as the previous ones since I gave them annoying codes. Thing is, I figured I might as well make you memorize something useful rather than something pointless. In our daily lives, we memorize many meaningless things. The names of celebrities, sports players, characters in TV shows; trivial information related to the aforementioned; lyrics to a song you hate, but hear on a regular basis; the codes for emoticons on the Cloudflash forum. If you're going to memorize something less fortunately educated like "giraffe" or "overlycomplicatedcode", why not make you learn how to correctly spell words in the process? So, I looked up some frequently misspelled words and chose some that have vague relevance to these emoticons (in some cases). Yes, socks are very relevant. Some of the emoticons still have pointless codes, though. Anywhosel, here are the new ones:
/hygiene /toast /harass /occurrence /bazookajoe /bazookachristopher /dilemma /maneuver /relevance /embarrassment /privilege

Post subject: Re: Emoticons IV: Torment
PostPosted: October 10th, 2012, 9:41 pm 
Awards
The addict rank at 760 is a joke
The addict rank at 760 is a joke

Yogurt tokens: 5865
YES These new emots are AWESOME.
/toast /harass /relevance /occurrence /embarrassment /privilege /dilemma /bazookachristopher /bazookajoe /hygiene

Interesting, I'd probably of spelt occurrence wrong and yeap as I typed it I used a instead of e.

9/11 oops

PostPosted: October 11th, 2012, 12:44 am 
Awards
For being more high tech than ever before, people sure are stupid these days

Yogurt tokens: 5940
I am pretty sure in the 6 years I have been here, I have not once used an emoticon; So for me this update is sorta meh.

PostPosted: October 11th, 2012, 2:56 am 
Awards
! your foggot !
! your foggot !

Yogurt tokens: 6015
EqualsDee wrote:
Aww, thank you! =D

I believe this is technically an emoticon!

PostPosted: October 11th, 2012, 2:23 pm 
Awards

Technically that's my username.

Now that I think about it, it should be trivial to create an extension for chrome to block out posts that overuse that obnoxious toxic waste.

PostPosted: October 11th, 2012, 2:30 pm 
Awards
An Improved Society's #1 fan and interpreter
An Improved Society's #1 fan and interpreter

Yogurt tokens: 13125
EqualsDee wrote:

Now that I think about it, it should be trivial to create an extension for chrome to block out posts that overuse that obnoxious toxic waste.

Equalsdee confirmed for hating anything fun.
I love the new emoticons, specifically Ant Man /harass and Binomial Bruce /occurrence . I totally remember them from their respective C-mixes. Socks are good too. /relevance Toilet paper /hygiene and toast /toast are also amusing.

PostPosted: October 11th, 2012, 2:53 pm 
Awards
! Penpal !
! Penpal !

EqualsDee wrote:

Does Chrome have an adblock thing? As I vaguely recall, you could block a directory on a site with Firefox's adblock. Blocking out a whole post sounds like it'd be complicated and perhaps unnecessary.

PostPosted: October 11th, 2012, 3:09 pm 
Awards

skutieos wrote:
EqualsDee wrote:

Equalsdee confirmed for hating anything fun.

Whilst that is my persona, I genuinely do dislike the amount of posts on these forums and in the chatbox that consist mostly or entirely of emoticons. Besides the fact that the internet has moved on from emoticons circa 1997, it might possibly have been funny the first time; hell, maybe even the second time, but now it is really old, and adds absolutely nothing of value to any conversation.

"Oh look guys, I put black guy's head on a giraffe the the four thousandth ... Anyhow, my point stands. Good day. time, aren't I funny and original?"
This is the kind of thing that I would expect from children.

Also Danno, that has given me an idea, thanks for mentioning it.

PostPosted: October 11th, 2012, 4:08 pm 
Awards
! Penpal !
! Penpal !

Emoticons are a thing of the past, but I feel these sorts of emoticons are different. Rather than depicting some minutely amusing action like a smiley banging his head against a brick wall, dancing, or swearing, our emoticons generally depict things that are, by themselves, in no way trying to be funny, amusing, or even remotely useful. Certainly, the giraffe head gag has been done a number of times by now. We've also had our periods of excessive cake posting and pewp posting. I think the emoticons can aid people in showing creativity and humour, though, or just bringing us together as Cloudflashians by having something between us that the rest of the internet doesn't have.

I think it would be bad if it got to a point where people respond to each other with nothing but a common emoticon combination or if the emoticons replaced thought and speech entirely (see: "awesome" smileys, people thinking they're "Rick Rolling" when they forced a person to listen to the song rather than tricking them, memes on Facebook). I've sat through such things before and I hated it since it watered down (or completely removed) any amount of intelligent/coherent conversation. Anyhow, I think our emoticons aren't that bad because:
  • They are small, so they are fairly easy to look past.
  • There's nothing to "get" - they are simply "as is".
  • They do not clearly represent any idea, so people must use them according to their own interpretations.
  • Some of them are promoting proper education.
  • Excessive use is almost exclusively limited to the chatbox.

Supporting evidence that they aren't really used that often (all quotes excluded):
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1976 - With 7 posts, this topic has 1500 words and 1 emoticon. Average: 214.3 words and 0.14 emoticons per post.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1975 - With 2 posts, this topic has 237 words and 3 emoticons. Average: 118.5 words and 1.5 emoticons per post.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1899 - With 28 posts, this topic has 1471 words 5 emoticons. Average: 52.5 words and 0.18 emoticons per post.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1973 - With 10 posts, this topic has 257 words and 4 emoticons. Average: 25.7 words and 0.4 emoticons per post.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1958 - With 24 posts, this topic has 3679 words and 5 emoticons. Average: 153.3 words and 0.21 emoticons per post.

Granted, the second link has a somewhat high emoticon average, but it also hasn't had a discussion take place yet. I believe that our actual conversations are not diluted by emoticons. The Non-Dairy Zone might have a higher emoticon average, but I think we can write that off in general as not being a place for meaningful discussions.
That fourth link's topic isn't even one that would prompt any kind of actual response. Two of the posts don't even have any words... yet we still have an average of 25.7 words per post. It suggests that everyone probably wrote at least one sentence, which isn't too far off. The reality is that I'm the only one who used any emoticons in that topic, too. If that's Cloudflash's example of a "toxic waste topic", I think we're doing pretty good compared to some forums I've been at.

PostPosted: October 12th, 2012, 12:43 am 
Awards

The first thing I saw when I logged on today was 2 messages in the chat the consisted entirely of swords. Scroll down a bit and there is a "conversation" of pure emoticons.

As for the forums, if people tried to pull that toxic waste outside the non dairy zone (which is of course sees it's own share of this cancer, viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1956 for example), the banhammer would start 'a swinging, and I am pretty sure everyone here knows that.

Also, just a side note, if you want to use statistical evidence, you need to provide a larger sample. The confidence in a 5 topic sample is negligible.

Post new topic This topic is locked, gtfo.  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next