All times are UTC - 6 hours

Poster Message Extra info
 Post subject: Redesign plans
PostPosted: October 25th, 2016, 9:41 pm 
Awards
! Penpal !
! Penpal !

Yogurt tokens: 10375
I started thinking again about how I really need to redesign this site. I mean, it wasn't up to par when I created the current iteration in 2007, which was bad enough, but now it's really obsolete with the prominence of mobile devices in today's world. Here's the visual plan I have for the redesign:

In the past, I hoped to integrate the forum database into the main site (i.e. logging in on the homepage, being able to save content to your profile, having something on your profile updated if you beat a Flash game, etc.). I'm thinking that's too ambitious for me and that it'll never happen, so I'll settle for what's within the realm of possibility - that is, what I can achieve on my own.

I intend to remove a lot of content and change the focus of the website. Originally, I intended for Cloudflash to be a place for me to post my own content while inviting others to submit their own content. Nowadays, I pretty much just want it to be my stuff. There are sites dedicated to sharing content and they do it much better than I could ever hope to. It's time to put that half-assed attempt to rest. I plan to remove:
-All Flash games besides ACE Character Designer. This will be moved to a "Flash" section, which will contain all future Flash content (for the people who are still willing to use Flash Player).
-Almost all the Flash movies. I might upload some to YouTube and then embed the videos here. That way, people don't have to deal with Flash and it also makes it easier to find/share/comment for the general public. The section will be renamed "Videos".
-Everything in the "Downloads" section will be removed.
-Some stuff in the "Miscellaneous" section will be removed.
-"Characters" section will be removed.

I intend to add:
Art section - Hopefully a user-friendly gallery involving thumbnail images. Will likely be organized into sub-galleries depending on style or theme.
Projects section - Details works in progress, including a summary, screenshots, perhaps a completion rate, etc.

I may also include some things that are relevant to a section. For example, the Art section might include the story of my journey as an artist - from stick figures to what I make today. I'm hoping it will appear organized and include such things seemlessly.

I'm also hoping to implement a better system for displaying content. Currently, I manually create a new text document for every comic page (i.e. I've manually edited nearly 300 pages for C-Mix). With the new system, I'll just have one page with variables to display the appropriate information for different comics.

Anyway, so that's the gist of my plan. If I'm not lazy, I might have it done by the end of the year.